[Interest] When Microsoft comes to purchase Qt what will be the outcome?
Henry Skoglund
2018-09-25 10:14:11 UTC
Hi, while I am a very happy Qt user, I have this fear that Microsoft
will knock on Qt's door with a boatload of money.

Being old and having gone through some bad experiences with Microsoft, I
was one of those who left GitHub for GitLab this summer. But when the
bell tolls for Qt, I don't see any alternatives. So, if they call,
please just say whatever amount of $$$ Microsoft offers Google will
double, or something like that :-)

Rgrds Henry
Jason H
Jean-Michaël Celerier
2018-09-25 11:37:48 UTC
Considering that when MS bought Xamarin they put it under MIT, I'd wager
that if they ever happen to buy TQTC, they would certainly do the same
with Qt.
Jérôme Godbout
2018-09-25 12:42:33 UTC
Exactly, they already have Xamarin, I don't any real advantage fro them to
buy Qt, Microsoft prefer their C# as a cross platform anyway. That would be
a huge surprise and a waste of money that doesn't add any real value. And
if they buy out Qt, I don't see why the open source part of it would not
remain the same. Anyway, anybody would be able to fork the open source part
of Qt and continue from there.

As far as I can see, Xamarin is still up and running just fine and so does
GitHub, unless we don't see something underground ground on?

Post by Jason H
There's a suicide pact with the community that if Qt ever stops being
updated, that it is relicensed under BSD.
RAPPROCHEZ LA DISTANCE

*JérÎme Godbout*Senior Software Developer

*p:* +1 (418) 800-1073 ext.:109

*m:* +1 (581) 777-0050

amotus.ca <http://www.amotus-solutions.com/>
statum-iot.com
Thiago Macieira
2018-09-25 22:18:42 UTC
Post by Jason H
There's a suicide pact with the community that if Qt ever stops being
updated, that it is relicensed under BSD. I believe that "stops being
updated" means failing to release two dot (x.y) releases a year. It is
relatively foggy in my find, but dates back to the GNOME competitive days
and I think the purchase by Nokia. Someone else might remember better...
The "poison pill" of the KDE Free Qt Foundation kicks in if there are
commercial releases with no equivalent open source within 12 months of that
release. It does not kick in if the maintainer community decides to drop some
platforms.

For the latter, there's always the ability to fork. If anyone disagrees with
the direction Qt (or any other Open Source project, for that matter) is going,
fork it and maintain it the way you want it to go (after, of course, trying to
engage the community to argue your case).
Konrad Rosenbaum
2018-09-25 11:36:02 UTC
Post by Henry Skoglund
Hi, while I am a very happy Qt user, I have this fear that Microsoft
will knock on Qt's door with a boatload of money.
[...]

Fret no more! Familiarize yourself with the KDE Free Qt Foundation and sleep
soundly at night...

https://www.kde.org/community/whatiskde/kdefreeqtfoundation.php

;-)

Konrad