KDE's qqc2-desktop-style
Jason H
2018-03-06 17:45:43 UTC
https://api.kde.org/frameworks/qqc2-desktop-style/html/index.html
So this combines QStyle with QML, so QML can be more widget like. Can this be a part of Qt?
Nikos Chantziaras
2018-03-07 13:53:27 UTC
Post by Jason H
https://api.kde.org/frameworks/qqc2-desktop-style/html/index.html
So this combines QStyle with QML, so QML can be more widget like. Can this be a part of Qt?
This is just for KDE though, right? Interestingly, KDE is the only
platform where my Qt applications don't look native, unless they compile
it themselves (which they can't do in closed source applications; and
most people don't compile applications themselves anyway.)
Jean-Michaël Celerier
2018-03-07 15:49:47 UTC
Post by Nikos Chantziaras
This is just for KDE though, right?
No, it works pretty much everywhere and has no kde dependencies in the
plug-in code : https://github.com/KDE/qqc2-desktop-style/tree/master/plugin

-------
Jean-Michaël Celerier
http://www.jcelerier.name
Nikos Chantziaras
2018-03-07 16:02:21 UTC
Post by Jean-Michaël Celerier
Post by Nikos Chantziaras
This is just for KDE though, right?
No, it works pretty much everywhere and has no kde dependencies in the
plug-in code : https://github.com/KDE/qqc2-desktop-style/tree/master/plugin
That does sound like a good solution for Qt Quick desktop apps! I wasn't
sure what this meant:

QQuickStyle::setStyle("org.kde.desktop");

The "org.kde.desktop" part made it look like this is tied to KDE.
Jason H
The line QT_QUICK_CONTROLS_STYLE=org.kde.desktop is only needed to it's not any of the other styles so that this style gets used. Sine it uses QStyle, which is already aware of platform styles, it should "just" work on all platforms where QStyle is supported! Yee-haw!
Jason H
2018-03-09 15:14:22 UTC
So I wrote the maintainer. He was amenable to it becoming a standard but cautioned that it's not the panacea that it seems to be - at least in its current form. However he thinks that if it were to become part of Qt the issues could be addressed by the Qt project. He also stated that it had been discussed here and it was determined that there were "other plans" within Qt. But it seems that those never materialized? So maybe this should be reconsidered?

The severe limitation is that because of QStyle, it need to be linked with Widgets, which in turn requires QApplication instead of QGuiApplication. However I don't know why QStyle can't be copied into QtQuick for this one purpose. It only inherits QObject...
Sérgio Martins
2018-03-07 16:21:47 UTC
Post by Jason H
https://api.kde.org/frameworks/qqc2-desktop-style/html/index.html
So this combines QStyle with QML, so QML can be more widget like. Can this be a part of Qt?
Only if you give reasons for it to be in qt-project rather than in KDE
(assuming the maintainer accepts).

Is it due to lack of binaries for platform X, hard to build KDE software
or ?

Many of the reasons people usually give should be tackled directly by
KDE.
The software is great and already works in "non-KDE programs", so I
assume it's some minor process that needs improving so people use it
more.

Regards,
--
Sérgio Martins | ***@kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
Tel: Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090, USA +1-866-777-KDAB(5322)
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts
Nikos Chantziaras
2018-03-07 17:16:55 UTC
Post by Sérgio Martins
Post by Jason H
https://api.kde.org/frameworks/qqc2-desktop-style/html/index.html
So this combines QStyle with QML, so QML can be more widget like. Can
this be a part of Qt?
Only if you give reasons for it to be in qt-project rather than in KDE
(assuming the maintainer accepts).
Is it due to lack of binaries for platform X, hard to build KDE software
or ?
As I see it, it's because nobody knows about it, and as a result, Qt
Quick results in your application not looking like a native one. (Which
is my reason for sticking to Widgets and avoiding QML UIs.)
Post by Sérgio Martins
Many of the reasons people usually give should be tackled directly by KDE.
The software is great and already works in "non-KDE programs", so I
assume it's some minor process that needs improving so people use it more.
If it's not in Qt, people just don't know it's there. Windows or macOS
developers who use Qt don't have any reason to know what "KDE" even is.

IMO, Qt should make Qt Quick look native without requiring 3rd-party
libraries for it.

Now that I know this exists, this is no longer an issue for me, I guess.
But if I didn't read this mailing list, I'd never have known this even
exists. I now might actually use QML for UIs (depending on how well this
thing works; haven't tried it yet.)